This assignment hit me hard – right in my gut. I guess there are times when you review your life and realize that you are a hardworking worker ant and not a guitar-strumming grasshopper. This was one of the times.
Here’s an abridged list of what I do when I am not writing (code or English.)
—————During the Day (5:00 AM to 9:o0 PM)—————
1. Do the chores prescribed by wifey and Mom.
2. Moderate the conversations between wifey and Mom.
3. Twice a week, drive Mom to the mall, follow her around with her shopping bags, then drive her home.
4. Twice a week, get caught by a neighbor while running the buy-milk-and-groceries chore.
5. Escort the dog on her morning and evening walks.
—————During the Night (9:00 PM to 5:00 AM)—————
6. Listen to wifey’s account of her day (including the stories of her interactions with Mrs. Chaddha)
7. Fight a losing battle with the dog for my share of the bed.
8. Try to ward off the nightmares of missing deadlines, not being able to manage the mom-wifey situation with Sumit’s finesse, and the dog succumbing to the charms of one of those street-side canine Romeos.
As you can see, there isn’t much to brag about. Now shifting gears to get into code-writing mode. (No, that’s not a tear-drop that you see glinting in the corner of my eye, it’s the hope for a less chore-ific future.)