EJ Koh is on to a big thing here. I have a feeling that 80% of us would disagree on 20% of it – the disagreed-upon 20% being the “know nothing at all” part.
You do end up knowing something – perhaps 20% of what you had attempted to learn.
The management zombies among my elite readers would recognize that I am trying to use the 20% of the Pareto Principle that I tried figuring out in my graduation. If you have no idea what this principle is, you are among the 80% who have escaped the cookie-cutter run. Any way, the long and short of this awesome principle is:
80% of the effects can be attributed to 20% of the causes.
Here are a few illustrations:
- 80% of the tooth-decay is caused by 20% of our food.
- 80% of what we know has come from 20% of our education.
- 80% of the blogposts done against the Writing101 Assignments are done by 20% of the participants.
- 80% of my comments and likes come from 20% of my readers.
- 80% of laughter is generated by 20% of the content.
- 80% of my malarkey comes from 20% of my experiences.
I’m sure I could come up with more, if only today wasn’t 9/11.
Today on the anniversary of 9/11, I would like to extend the Pareto principle and say 80% of the terrorists and criminals comes from 20% of the world population. The other 80% must take a stand and protect their homes from the invasion of terrorism. If the 80% decide to become the silent majority, laughter and joy will die a sad death. I won’t be writing malarkey, nor will you be reading it anymore. The world would become a dark place, because 80% of us were made to bow our heads to the 20% who hold the guns of fanaticism. I sincerely believe that those who harbor and nurture criminals and terrorists are equally responsible in the crimes they commit against humanity.
Today, I can’t bring myself to write humor, or parody our tiny harmless human foibles; today I feel the need to be what my forefathers were – the defenders of our families and people. India still has Indian-ness left because our forefathers didn’t leave India when the Mughals and the British came invading. They struggled to keep their way of life alive. They held their ground. I am proud of them and I hope that when my time in this world comes to an end, I leave with my head held high.
Thank you for reading.